The D850 a forever camera?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
PerTulip Contributing Member • Posts: 935
Re: No Such Thing

NotASpeckOfCereal wrote:

EE-TV wrote:
[...]

Use the tech, always having at the forefront of your mind the knowledge that there is a very fine line until said tech starts to use you. Be aware. Be very aware.

Except old cars stink, rattle, are very expensive to maintain, are not as safe, and are certainly not as efficient. Even if you completely refitted it (new shocks, etc.) so get the ride back to spec, it still wasn't built as tight as you can get with today's advanced automobile manufacturing.

Oh, but they GO fast compared to today's gutless wonders (as if that's the benchmark I need to use to go to work or take a road trip).....

My current station wagon outperforms every classic muscle car in terms of speed, acceleration, maneuverability, braking, comfort. So why not?

As for cameras: why have a "forever camera"? I have one in medium format, because being meter-less, lacking AF and using film, there's no "next thing". But with DSLRs, each iteration/generation brings improvements. I might skip one or even two generations but at some point the better AF performance, noise, etc. speak for themselves. I still have F4 and F5 and if you compare the build quality, today's DSLRs just aren't built "forever". It's not the body that will fail but what about electronics?

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow