Sigma 100-400mm imprecise image stabilization

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kenneth Almquist New Member • Posts: 22
Sigma 100-400mm imprecise image stabilization

Previously, the longest focal length lens I owned was the Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3, which I purchased after trying out a Sigma 18-300mm and discovering that the Nikon was sharper everywhere, but particularly at the long end. Using a tripod, the Sigma 100-400mm blows the Nikon away at 300mm:

These are unscaled crops from the D7200 raw images with no noise reduction.  The EXIF data indicates that the Nikon is at 300mm and the Sigma is at 310mm, but the actual difference in focal length is larger than that.

I don't generally use a tripod, so I care about hand held performance, and what I've seen so far is the image stabilization getting close, but not quite nailing it. The best I've been able to get is the following.  It's an unscaled crop shot at 400mm, 1/50 sec. f/6.3, ISO 400, optical stabilizer mode 1.

If this looks like it could be an optical flaw, the next image (which comes from the same burst) is clearer about what is happening.  There, the camera motion created a double exposure effect with two sharp images:

As I understand it, the way optical stabilization works is that the lens detects camera motion and adjusted a movable lens element to counteract the effect of the motion and keep the image stable.  What I assume is happening here is that something is miscallibrated so the motion of the lens element doesn't precisely counteract the effect of the camera motion.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Even with imperfect stabilization the image quality is better than the Nikon 18-300mm, so I could live with it.  But if it is a problem with my copy of the lens (rather than being how the lens is supposed to behave), I'd send it in for a replacement.

Nikon D7200 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow