Re: Recommended QXD & SD cards for D850

briantilley wrote:

mais51 wrote:

briantilley wrote:

mais51 wrote:

nilanjanray wrote:

Joseph C Parisi DVM wrote:

Hi

Need some advise on the your recommendation on which QXD & SD cards are you using in a D 850

Thanks

Joe Parisi Marco Island Fl.

Sony G series XQD 128GB + SDXC UHS1 64GB.

SDXC only for 'overflow', once I fill up the XQD.

Using the second slot as overflow defeats the purpose of having two slots

Overflow is a valid use of the second slot. Sometimes, total capacity can be more important than redundancy.

I find Sony SD card UHS II @300MB/s is similar in price with Sony XQD 400MB/s G type - Sandisk is too expensive

There is nothing stopping you using the second slot as overflow - but to think that 1100 shots (128GB XQD plus 120 GB SD back up) is not enough for one shooting session you must be churning through a lots of photos. And if you are shooting that many shots it would be a good enough reason to use second slot as back up. If you are worrying about running out of storage get a bigger card.

I'm just saying that some people might legitimately choose to configure the second slot as overflow in some situations. It's not "defeating the purpose" as you suggested, it's just making a different choice. It's fine if you don't see the point, just try not to dismiss others' preferences.

Of course it is your choice how to operate your equipment to suit your requirements.

When Nikon omits the second slot in their Mirrorless lots of people raised their hands complaining about it, some even threatened not considering the camera at all - surely not because they don't have an overflow option -

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow