Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,121
Re: Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

TheBeard614 wrote:

I was looking to get the Sony 85mm 1.8 for portrait work and have some reach for events to pair with me Zeiss 35mm 2.8. I take a lot of images while hiking (most of my photos) but want to get into more portraits and events. I know the Tamron is still out of stock for the most part but I was thinking of getting it instead of the 85mm so I would have a bit wider than 35mm to use outdoors for waterfalls and landscapes but also get the reach to 75mm. Does anyone have both the fe 85mm 1.8 and the Tamron that could comment on the sharpness between the two.

pure sharpness I would give edge to 85 but the tamron isn't far behind. Outside of maximizing still lifes I think this is pixel peeping to pixel peep

If the 85 1.8 is that much better I will probably get it than a Samyang 24mm to hold me over on the wise end.

pass. The samyang 35 is a good buy. The 24.......well it is small and cheap. It is decent at a few spots but overall the lens isn't great.

So I guess the question is to pair the Zeiss 35mm with the FE 85mm and Samyang 24mm. Or pair the Zeiss 35mm with the Tamron zoom. I don’t mind carrying extra lenses and I’m liking the images I am getting and seeing online shot with primes.

It sounds like you actually want the Tamron. Just wait for it. They are starting to catch up. I had to wait almost two months after ordering mine. If your not going to shoot the 85 wide open I don't think you will miss it

Thanks for any comparisons you guys have.

good luck

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow