Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 1,559
Re: Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

TheBeard614 wrote:

I was looking to get the Sony 85mm 1.8 for portrait work and have some reach for events to pair with me Zeiss 35mm 2.8. I take a lot of images while hiking (most of my photos) but want to get into more portraits and events. I know the Tamron is still out of stock for the most part but I was thinking of getting it instead of the 85mm so I would have a bit wider than 35mm to use outdoors for waterfalls and landscapes but also get the reach to 75mm. Does anyone have both the fe 85mm 1.8 and the Tamron that could comment on the sharpness between the two. If the 85 1.8 is that much better I will probably get it than a Samyang 24mm to hold me over on the wise end.

So I guess the question is to pair the Zeiss 35mm with the FE 85mm and Samyang 24mm. Or pair the Zeiss 35mm with the Tamron zoom. I don’t mind carrying extra lenses and I’m liking the images I am getting and seeing online shot with primes. Thanks for any comparisons you guys have.

I have been shooting fashion/glamour professionally for the past 15 years and just moved over to Sony. I have not yet tested the Tamron but I own the 85 f/1.8 and it is a fantastic lens. I would recommend it over the Tamron simply because primes are always sharper than zooms and its less expensive. Having said that, the Tamron also looks quite good in the portrait tests I have seen on Youtube. I am a prime only shooter though. You may want a zoom at some point for events though as its more handy and you aren't as concerned about sharpness.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow