befree gt for sony vs the gitzo traveler a series

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Paul712 Regular Member • Posts: 330
Re: befree gt for sony vs the gitzo traveler a series

asianjabba wrote:

i'm looking for a travel tripod for my sony a7r3 (with battery grip on) and i'm willing to spend up to $500 and I saw these two tripods.

https://www.manfrotto.us/befree-gt-carbon-fibre-designed-for-cameras-from-sony-2e8d2e

https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo-tripod-kit-traveler-series-1-4-sections-c2a8e0

I know the more expensive one is nicer looking, but what is the difference in terms of the plate. It looks like they're both created to fit the a7 cameras and looks very similar in the photos.

is the befree gt a good travel tripod for my a7r3 (with battery grip)? If not, i'd like an honest recommendation, my budget is up to $500.

thanks for any suggestions and help!

Joe

I considered the same comparison and opted to buy the Befree GT Carbon Fibre and used it with my A7R M2.  Gitzo is functionally identical in weight and folded hight.  I had been using the Befree for couple of years and I am very pleased with it.  I recently modified the Befree replacing its ball head with -Way Befree Fluid Head, for video photography to allow free movement of the camera in all directions while keeping it horizontal all the time.   As my Befree tripod has become longer with the new video head, it is not as compact.

So, I bought a second Tripod - Manfrotto Element Carbon Fibre, which is even more compact compared to BeFree.  The Element also has a ball head and horizontal pan capability (similar to Gitzo and Befree).  Now, take with me the Befree with Video 2-way fluid head, if I expect any video opportunity, or take with me the Element with Ball Head if only still photography and I need compactness.   I am quite pleased with both my choices.  (Previously, I owned a much bigger and sturdier Tripod, but, most often it remained at home for weight reasons.  Not, I take with me one or the other more often as these are much lighter and compact).

I believe, if you are not looking for video head, either Befree GT Carbon Fibre with Ball Head or the Element Carbon Fibre with Ball Head will meet your need.  I have used the Befree with my A7R M2 with a 70-200 mm F4 lens with no problems.

-- hide signature --

Paul2

Paul712's gear list:Paul712's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow