Re: DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroo vs CaptureOne

Zeee wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Yes, Viewpoint is a must-have, and FilmPack is very useful. The Volume deformation correction in Viewpoint is essential with wide-angle images. And I don't think an equivalent automatic correction tool is available elsewhere.

Volume deformation correction in Viewpoint, user have to input, correct?

not auto?

It's as automatic as you want it to be. In my case, I've set it up to automatically apply 75% horizontal/vertical Volume deformation correction by default to every image. That's what it will do unless I override it.

Of course, it won't change telephoto images, but will correct wider angle images as needed: the wider the angle, the more the correction. No user input required.

i don't understand why

if the lens need this correction (automatically apply 75% horizontal/vertical Volume deformation correction)

Volume deformation is not a lens problem. It is a characteristic of all wide angle images, even with fully corrected lenses.

why it is not in lens profile?

Because it's not a lens problem. In the example I showed, the lens corrections had already been applied, but the people at the edges of the scene had been stretched sideways.

This happens with all wide-angle images. As far as I'm aware, DxO Viewpoint is the only tool that provides automatic correction for this form of distortion.

See
https://www.dxo.com/us/photography/tutorials/understanding-volume-deformation

Laowa Zero-d ultrawides have significantly less (almost non existent) volume deformation.

Den

I have had my eye on one but haven't shot like that or have really cared to the last year. I just go with 24mm.

It wouldn't help with volume deformation. My widest lens 1s a 10-18 zoom (15-27 equiv), and you really need Viewpoint to deal with such wide angle shots (and that's after correcting lens distortion — volume deformation is not due to a lens fault).

It's a bit like shooting wide angle shots with the camera pointing upwards, rather than kept horizontal. You will inevitably get perspective or keystone distortion, regardless of the quality of the lens. It's not a camera or lens fault, but can still be corrected in post-processing if required. Viewpoint can do this with one click, as can many other post-processing editors. However, 100% correction often looks wrong, and a partial correction looks more natural.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow