Zeiss zx1 and s-ttl

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bartleby82 New Member • Posts: 8
Zeiss zx1 and s-ttl

So the zx1 has been announced, and while it's not a great solution for everyone, it looks like it might fit my needs.  You can do a lot with 35mm, and a lot more attached to a high res sensor with the ability to make deep crops.  It has 4k, which is important once again mostly for the crop.  I think it was designed for street photography, and landscape photography and a bunch of other kinds of photography too (not sports or wedding or wildlife imo). So far so good.  A fixed lens camera with one focal length needs versatility if it's going to interest me.

But is it good in the studio?  The hot shoe uses sigma flash protocol.  I asked zeiss about this, and while their specific answer is covered under one of these don't tell anyone generic clauses, I can tell you it wasn't very helpful.  Sigma was a bit like ohh zeiss apparently chose our flash protocol... interesting (not direct quote).

What I want to know is what is going to be compatible with this?  Am I limited to sigma branded flash units?  Are there 3rd parties that make flashes using the sigma protocol?  Is there anything special about the sigma protocol that would allow me to use flashes from canon/nikon/sony with it?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 (Lumix DMC-ZX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow