Night Sky Shooting / Astrophotography on X-T2 : ETTR? ISO 1600?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Sebastien Guyader
Sebastien Guyader Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Re: Night Sky Shooting / Astrophotography on X-T2 : ETTR? ISO 1600?

I've been playing around with Sequator, and I thought I'd share what seems to be the a workflow for the cleanest results.

1) Capture: set the camera to Raw, ISO to 800-3200, shutter speed 15-30sec (ISO and shutter speed will depend on the focal length and maximum aperture of your lens).

2) Raw processing: a minimal processing in a good raw converter is helpful. I use Rawtherapee, which allows me to apply white balance (important to me), vignetting and chromatic aberration and choosing the demosaicing algorithm, and to output linear 16-bit TIFF files (recommended input types for Sequator).

3) Aligning and stacking in Sequator:

• Composition: Align stars, Select best pixels (and if needed, Freeze ground)
  • Reduce light pollution: Uneven
  • Enhance star light: On
  • Color space: Linear
  • Output: uncompressed tiff

4) Postprocessing: I use Rawtherapee again for exposure compensation (to recover brightness) and final tuning using Lab adjustments (L* curve, chromaticity, fine tuning f color balance with a* or b* curve).

Below is a result I obtained form aligning and stacking 11 exposures (23mm @f/1.6, 15sec., ISO 2000) + 2 dark (noise) frames.

The result is much nicer to me than what I obtained using Siril for aligning and stacking (results I have posted some time ago here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61698294).

Sebastien Guyader's gear list:Sebastien Guyader's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow