DPAF with sports is amazing!

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marc dbr
Marc dbr Regular Member • Posts: 309
DPAF with sports is amazing!

Hello everyone,

Last weekend I shot a polo match (not waterpolo, the sport with horses) just for fun, wasn’t a paid gig. I only used the 135 because the action often was close enough that I didn’t bother using the 100-400 ii L. I started shooting the match with my standard sport settings: AI servo, Case 4, single AF point and Auto AF point assigned to another bitten on my 5DIV. Went great, the camera graved focus quickly as usual but when reviewing the photos zoomed in I noticed that the focus wouldn’t be bang on. Close subjects are sharp for the most of them, but at distances of 15 meters to infinity the shots are just not sharp most of the time. They are either back focused and some of them even front focused. This has little or nothing to do with AFMA because the lens produces good results at that distance with a target. It’s as if the camera has trouble finding focus at longer distances: I don’t think it is specific to the lens, or the body because I’ve noticed it with my 5DIII too. This is the reason why I’ve been using DPAF more often for portraits on the 5DIV which works incredibly well but somehow both buildings, travel and landscapes focus is always bang on.

So after a couple minutes into the game I flicked the camera into Live view with DPAF tracking with tracking priority (2or 3 frames per second) and I was blown away that it works this well with sports! Shot after shot was bang on sharpness wise, wether the action was close or far away, and I know that DPAF is really accurate but I never knew it could keep up with sports this well! I then shot a lot with the single little box in AI Servo which I like even more with more control. Now I know I am basically using the camera like a mirror less camera and it looks ugly to be shooting sports from the back on a screen instead of having an EVF. I’ll do some testing with speed priority to get faster bursts since DPAF is so freaking accurate but I am curious about your thoughts about this, have you noticed the same thing? Are there any solutions for it because I do miss the 7 frames per second.

Marc

-- hide signature --
 Marc dbr's gear list:Marc dbr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow