Nokishita confirms 2 Powershot G series cameras coming

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,279
Re: Nokishita confirms 2 Powershot G series cameras coming

I recently bought a G3X with the optional EVF.  After 2 days, I sent it back.  My biggest problem with it was poor AF in low light at longer focal lengths.  After that, I had issues with the EVF.  It's clear and sharp; but sticks way up and makes it hard to find a bag big enough.  Taking the EVF on and off every time gets the G3X into a much smaller bag; but slows getting it into action and I was concerned about the life time of those tiny contacts at the front of the hot shoe and on the front of the EVF.  They do supply covers for the foot on the EVF and for the hot shoe; but that's more fumbling and risk of losing the covers.  Image quality was sharp; but had lowish contrast, especially in flatlight.  I blame that on the DIGIC 6 processor.  The color was also not to my liking.  I have the G7X II and it's much better because of the DIGIC 7 processor.  To get more reach, the G7X  II and G3X both have a 1.6x Digital Multiplier setting which is around 8 MP.  It works very well and gives enough resolution for a sharp borderless 8.5" x11" print.  On the G3X that would give 38.4 to 960 mm.  On my G7X II it gives 38.4 to 160 mm, and I have it saved to the C position on the mode dial.

So, for the time being I'll stick with my Panasonic FZ1000 and FZ300.   In the EZ 10 MP mode, the FZ1000 gives an equivalent 565 mm with very good IQ.  And I have an Olympus TCON 17x telex for the FZ300 that gives 1020 mm, and still at f/2.8 with very good quality.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon SX220 HS Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
0lf
Jim
Jim
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow