Another Disney thread

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,748
Re: Another Disney thread

I use a lot of big gear for my work. And I used to carry some of that big gear when I traveled. Then my wife said enough, and bought for us each the diminutive SL1 (she got the white versions) exclusively for travel. The SL1 was and remains the world's smallest and lightest APS-C DSLR. To really take advantage of that benefit, EFS lenses are vital. The newer 18-55 kits lens is not bad, but the focal range is very limited. Your 17-55 is a better lens over all, but it's girth may be prohibitive for your intentions.

There's no question that the 18-135 is a fantastically versatile lens, and it would certainly be one of my top choices. It's my wife's first pick, whether we're taking a mountain road trip on our motorcycles, an ocean cruise, or a trip to Disney World. I prefer the 15-85, and generally find it to be one of Canon's best general purpose zooms for APS-C. The extra width really does make a difference. Where I can keep the same lens on all day, her frame gets easily crowded. And where she sometimes has to open things up with the 10-18 EFS, I can hold off and just use a fisheye for special shots.

I applaud your commitment to making it all about being with your kids than trying to make it a photo trip. And I think you're on the right track playing it light. The 18-135 would be my choice.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow