EOS R's sensor readout speed is surprisingly fast

Started Sep 29, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zeratulmrye Junior Member • Posts: 42
EOS R's sensor readout speed is surprisingly fast

Since EOS R finally has silent shutter now, I did a test with my cellphone to see how fast the sensor is at Photokina recently (I don't own the camera).

To be short, the result is around 80ms.

The screen of my phone refreshes the content from the top to the bottom. For example, if the screen is switching from a black frame to a white frame, you will see (with the help of RX10IV's 960FPS mode) it turns white line by line, and the whole process takes about 16.6ms.

Here is the photo I got with EOS R:

I also designed a second test which is kind of hard to explain so I'll just skip it, anyway the result is also around 80ms

I have a friend who already got the EOS R (provided by Canon) and he counted how many stripes it showed under in-door lights, and the result also translates to 75ms.

This shows that the gap between Canon and Sony's sensor technology may not be as large as I expected.

But for me it is still too early to draw a conclusion for two reasons:

1: The rolling shutter in 4K mode is still 30ms, the same as 5DIV. So the sensor readout speed should be around 290 MP/s (bit depth unknown). If this camera is capable of 30MP*(1/80ms)=375 MP/s then why it is using only 290 MP/s in video mode?

2: Does the silent shutter take a toll on image quality like some old Sony sensor cameras? I'm not sure because I can't really convert the RAW file at the moment.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow