Epson Artisan 1430 - The Pigment and Dye Inks Decision

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RixCanDoIt New Member • Posts: 2
Epson Artisan 1430 - The Pigment and Dye Inks Decision

Hello Everyone. My name is Rix.

After one year of using my Epson Artisan 1430, I was forced to replace the print-head due to the inability to unclog a few magenta jets.

Now that I have a working print-head, two days later I'm already experiencing clogged jets again. At least this time I have been successful in clearing most of them with a few cleans, but oh the waste of ink!

Anyway, I very curious about replacing my dye inks with pigment inks. However, I'm having a rough time trying to find specific information directed at exactly what I'm hoping to gain from doing so.

The Artisan 1430 is considered a Dye-ink based printer. Yet, I'm reading here and there that it will take Pigment-ink without problems.

Will it?

If it does, how does it rate against Dye-ink in the print-head clogging issue?

Now, I've read that Pigment-inks are not as 'bright' as Dye-inks and that I would not be happy with it on like Glossy Premium Paper, but rather, they should be reserved for matte paper and artist card stock, etc.

Is that so?

The ONLY photos I usually print are Black and White photos to be used for pencil drawing references. The details need to be sharp for the best use as reference photos.

And besides those B&W photos, I like to create color printed heat-transfers for tshirts (non-commercial) to press with my heat-press.

My research tells me that Pigment-Ink is better than Dye-Ink for quality heat-transfers. I have had very good results with Dye-Inks and Neenah Heat-Transfer paper, but is using Pigment-Ink going to take it up another level?

I also like to print out black print positives onto transparencies or those waterproof transparency films to create screens for screen-printing. The black image needs to be as opaque as possible, and I get the impression that using Pigment-ink would be better than Dye-inks for this.

Is that so?

Currently, my Epson Artisan 1430 has refillable cartridges filled with Dye-inks and I have a waste tank installed because of all the darn cleanings I have to perform. I'm curious if Pigment-inks is the way to go whether to add one of those CIS tanks systems to this printer.

I'd like to hear what you all think about this. Sure I'd love to have the brightest color photos on photo glossy paper, but if I had to make a choice of what is most important to me, it's the use of less clogging ink, high quality prints for B&W, and high-quality color for heat-transfer paper onto tshirts.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow