Resurrecting My Photography--Lenses and Software Advice

Started Sep 10, 2018 | Discussions thread
Tony Beach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,967
Re: Resurrecting My Photography--Lenses and Software Advice

greenmanphoto wrote:

As for a long telephoto, the Tamron 70-200 G2 is a GREAT lens. I have the G1 version, and I compared it with the Nikon 70-200 f4 at my semi-local camera store. I shot with both inside and outside the store. The store has a ceiling painted a matte black, and the Tamron had an easier time focusing there than the Nikon. It acquired focus quicker and seemed more accurate, as well. I also took them both outside and shot oncoming traffic with both. Again, the Tamron seemed quicker and more accurate. At that time, there was a rebate on the lens, and they were about the same price before the rebate. Add in the rebate, the fact it includes a tripod foot, and is an f2.8 versus an f4, and it was a no-brainer, for me. I've been VERY happy with the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC, and the new one is even nicer. It's probably not as cheap as a used Nikon f4, but it would be new, have a tripod foot, and be an f2.8 lens.

I've been reasonably impressed with Tamron lately. However, I recently tried the older version of their 24-70/2.8 VC on my D800 and while its image quality is pretty good the AF was not what I was looking for in that zoom range and I much prefer the AF performance of the old Nikkor 28-70/2.8D even though its image quality (my samples at least) isn't quite as good across the whole frame. From what you are writing the Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC sounds pretty confident, and it's been my experience that AF acquisition and tracking at longer focal lengths is a bit less challenging than what I am after on the mid-range zoom (FX mid-range that is, though I have plans to use it one day on a D500, when I can afford a D500). From samples I've seen of the Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC its bokeh looks pretty nice too, so probably not a bad choice. That said, I have the original version of the Nikkor 70-200/2.8 which I sometimes attach to a TC-14eII, and I find it very satisfactory and also it's not too expensive to get one of those (beware of a lot of sample variation though, and I have had issues with both copies I've owned out at the edges of even the DX frame).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow