BEST red dot sight mount I've used

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom K.
OP Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,694
Re: BEST red dot sight mount I've used

Some more information on red dot sight use, for those unfamiliar....

An RDS provides a way to aim the camera when zoomed in without being restricted by the narrow field of view. As I had mentioned I shoot soccer and the RDS allows me to see the entire field with my eyes, and follow and anticipate the action.

View: original size

Click on the picture above for an enlarged version. I have drawn a red rectangle around the RDS that shows the field of view of the camera, and that's all that I would be able to see through the viewfinder. But looking through the RDS I can simply place the red dot where I want the camera to point, while still seeing the surrounding area. You shoot with both eyes open, looking through the RDS with your dominant eye (left, in my case) and the dot is superimposed on the scene. It is NOT a laser.

If the tree were a soccer player and the large knot a soccer ball, I would be able to easily follow its movement in a game. Same thing for birds in flight - hard to track through the viewfinder, easy with the RDS.

Shooting from the sidelines or end zone, most of the time I have my FZ1000 zoomed fully to 400mm. The sensor's 20mp allows me to do a lot of cropping if more "magnification" or different framing is needed. When the players are closer I have used the camera enough to know approximately how much to widen the zoom, and for even wider angle shots it is easy to go back to using the viewfinder. By the way, I always shoot with the screen on the back turned around. My eyes won't focus that close without reading glasses so it's pretty much useless to me for action.

I also shoot in multi-shot mode so that the camera will fire at about 7 frames per second as I hold the shutter button down. So I can track a player coming down the field to take a shot on the ball and get the before and after, and not have to try and capture just the decisive moment.

Here's a typical soccer shot sequence. In the runup I am following the player, but in the last picture I am following the ball, easy to do with the RDS. And realize that the pictures show only a small portion of the field, while I could see all of it including the goal.

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow