32mm f/1.4 lens - City/Home test (PICS)

Started Sep 26, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 6,466
32mm f/1.4 lens - City/Home test (PICS)

( the green cast on the lens above is from the optical coatings on the UV protective filter I chose to use).
I was able to secure an EF 32mm f/1.4 STM lens today - which had accidentally arrived ahead of the actual release date here in Australia. I came across the lens by accident while placing an order for something else.  There appeared to be only one because the store was showing no stock after they put my lens aside for collection this afternoon. Walking out of the store, a massive storm descended and pretty much ruined any chance of addressing some tests I was hoping to conduct. These shots will have to do. I was surprised to access the menu (to find the Electronic Level) and stumbled across the Lens Correction setting - only to discover that the lens had already shared its settings with the Camera without the need to download an update. Nice one, Canon.

Lens Correction Data - is retained inside the Lens Microprocessor and instantly engages (and shares this data) with the camera when the lens is connected.

I had to shoot with just my right hand and no means to hold steady as I walked... because I was holding an umbrella and a bag in my left hand. My firs thought when unboxing the lens was how SMALL it was in my hand. It feels 'hefty'... (like holding an orange). I leaned against a store window and the lens extruded the inner optical tube against the window as I was taking a shot - surprising me. It comes out almost 2cm from the front face of the lens (similar to how the EF 85mm f/1.2L USM II lens focuses. But in this instance, the extruding part then withdraws when the camera is powered down.  For street shooting it barely moved.  For closeup shots it extended further. The filters (should you use any) simply ride backwards and forwards while perched on the front of the moving assembly when it extrudes slightly.
Initial Thoughts:
* Slightly noisier than the EF-M 22mm motor.... in a quiet room it was louder than I expected it to be when the focus shifted over greater distances. It's as though there's two motors inside.
* You can capture an out-of-focus image with this lens via bokeh-ball lock-on.  I took several shots of blurred subjects when this happened.
* Some cat-eye bokeh from this lens (not an issue).
* Really nice, smooth bokeh.
* Responsive AF.  Quite fast.
* Lovely color rendition.
* Excellent sharpness (surprisingly so).
* Nicely built.
* Lens optics don't extrude but the inner element does move outwards.
* No problem sporting a filter on the 43mm threads.
* Inner optical assembly shifts outwards by almost 2cm when focus is engaged with closeup subjects.
* Very lightweight considering the EF lens alternatives.
* Effective f/1.4 aperture for lowlight.
* I wish it wasn't raining.
I won't write a review for this lens until I've spent a couple of weeks with it. This is a very compelling lens to own. With around 50mm (equiv) on the APS-C cameras from the EOS M family, the 32mm lens is a welcome addition and ought to generate considerable interest from street photographers (I found it to be just the right focal length). I took over 550 images on the way home today but I'll only post some essential first shots for people to pick over if they're considering this lens. I think it's fairly good value and an essential addition to the EF-M lens range.  I'm used to shooting with thin DOF but some new owners may need to familiarize themselves with the need to pick your focus target zone carefully. Shutter Speed is important if you are shooting in low light because this lens has no Image Stabilizer - which in turn is perfectly normal with a fast lens... it's just that when dealing with focal lengths of around 50mm (equiv) you might shake slightly if shooting with just one hand. This happened to me when I was first using the lens so two or three early shots with it were just lightly affected by my hand movement.
It's a sharp lens.  Surprisingly so.  I'll try to get some practical shooting with it over the next 10 days or so although it's fun to play with the shallow DOF on such a 'tiny' lens. I can now carry this one with me instead of a larger, heavier EF f/1.4L lens.  I see other members with early lenses have caught some lovely shots of their own. Keep 'em coming!
These images were shot in JPEG and have been resized to 2000 pixels wide.  They're pretty decent when viewed larger.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - Happens EVERY time I buy a new camera or lens. A year of drought and then this. The 0.5-Infinity focus limiter switch was useful with windows.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - sharp enough.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - after sunset - in the rain.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - in the rain

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - store window display

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - lavender near my home

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - another street-photographer

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - council flowers... looking a little mangy

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - the dome inside the QVB building

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - you can see this guy behind the photographer above

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - my cat Quorra watching me play with dry-ice

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - this light was almost too bright to view.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - train station

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - the look of disapproval?

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - I got pounced on by the hotel owner for taking this shot. He assumed I must be from the council or something. Was fine when he realized I was just testing a lens.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - I love this. Sharp and Blurry at the same time.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - testing the Focus Limiter switch.

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - testing the focus range

M6 + EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens - sculpture near the Town Hall.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +17 more
Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow