"Pros always use Manual exposure, A and S are for amateurs ..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 1,879
Re: "Pros always use Manual exposure, A and S are for amateurs ..

Michael Fryd wrote:

MarshallG wrote:

However, I still believe that whether one considers the ISO setting an exposure control or not has no impact on their results nor of their understanding.

For example, one photographer may think, “The higher my ISO, the more noise I get.” But The technically knowledgeable photographer thinks, “The lower my exposure, the more noise I get.” These two things are equivocal.

The difference between the two mental models becomes apparent when you need to minimize noise in a low light situation.

Consider a situation where other constraints are forcing a shutter speed of 1/60 and an aperture of f/2.8. Your meter is suggesting that the corresponding ISO is 3200.

If you believe that "higher ISO causes more noise" you may think that you can reduce noise by setting the camera to ISO 400 and adjusting the lightness in post production. After all it's the high ISO that causes the noise.

In many cameras this will actually increase the image noise. In terms of image noise, you really are better off having the camera set for ISO 3200.

====

There are many models that yield a reasonable result in simple situations, but break down in more challenging situations. A good model is simple to use in common situations, yet still is useful in more complicated situations.

I shoot with a K-1 and a D500. Both are considered to be ISO invariant. For that reason I have a clear understanding that if I underexpose on purpose and adjust the exposure in post it would look exactly if I had bumped up the ISO in the first place. The advantage of shooting like that is you can avoid blowing highlights. Not all cameras are like that. Your Canon camera will look much worse if you push exposure in post because it isn't ISO invariant.

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow