A positive thought on a-mount

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tim Crammond Contributing Member • Posts: 855
A positive thought on a-mount

At least here in Australia, many good used a-mount cameras are going very cheap, and decent glass for them can cost about as much as a family pizza (I have three lenses I use which averaged about $25).

Recently I've thought that if someone asked, I would recommend a-mount to a beginner wantng to try out ILC or DSLR type cameras at a bargain price.

This seems especially true since it seems to me that mirrorless FF, especially with the advent of the a7III, is actually now attracting some quite inexperienced photographers straight into a system where you can spend huge amounts of cash very easily. It's a bit like buying a Les Paul as your first guitar.

I love my Minolta 28-135. I've learned to enjoy that it's heavy, has a lens cap seemingly designed to fall off, no hood, a long MFD, and is only slightly wide at the short end on aps-c. It still takes gorgeous shots, works on FF, and you can get one now for under $150. The closest thing in FE is over $2,000 au.

I can see a-mount AF cameras and lenses developing their own new vintage fanbase quite soon when and if Sony walk away (unless we're it already). In the meantime, so long as you don't want the really top end G glass or f2.8 zooms which are still asking a premium, it's a great system for someone to learn on.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow