BEST red dot sight mount I've used

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom K.
Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,694
BEST red dot sight mount I've used

I've used red dot sights (RDS) off and on for many years now, dating back to my Olympus UZ-2100 (about 2000). I've had a few mounts that used the flash shoe for mounting but were less than satisfactory for one reason or another, usually because of repeatability problems. It's a pain if you take the sight off and put it back on, and it isn't aligned correctly.

This sight mount works just right: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075D3BCF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It isn't any longer or taller than it needs to be. The main rail has a center hole and two slots, allowing you to adjust its position on top of the camera to your preference. I like to have it mostly forward, so that I can still use the viewfinder. It has a large thumbscrew so that you can really tighten it down hard so that it doesn't shift in use. It goes back to the same position every time when you remount it, if you just push it all the way forward in the flash shoe before snugging it down.

It will take pretty much any RDS on the market and the nice thing about using an RDS for photography, is that it doesn't have to be a high dollar item. Any cheap airgun sight will work as well as the most expensive RDS made to withstand rifle fire, it's just a matter of your preferences.

I like a sight to be as small as possible, and bright for use in sunshine. (I use an RDS to shoot outdoor high school/college soccer a lot.) I've tried several and I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF6PNQE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are lots that look like it but for me, this particular one has several things going for it. It's relatively cheap, about $30. It is quite compact. It has an easily accessible slide switch on the back that has two brightness positions, low and high. And it has a single mounting screw on the side on the off chance that I want to remove it from the mounting rail. Here it is mounted on my FZ1000.

An added benefit is that it uses CR2032 batteries, which a lot of sights do. A trick that I've learned is that you can increase the brightness of the LED by stacking two CR2016 batteries (1.6mm thick) in place of one CR2032 (3.2mm thick). They are all 3V cells, so using two CR2016s will result in 6V going to the LED. I don't know how this affects longevity of the LED or batteries but I don't really care, I do get a brighter dot this way. The only drawback is that changing batteries in this sight is a pain, you have to remove it from the rail and essentially disassemble it.

I've tried other RDSs. Here is one style that is very common and can be had even more cheaply. It has a nice feature of being able to select the dot configuration and I liked the crosshair style when I used it. It is easy to change the batteries and will also take two CR2016 batteries, although you have to make sure that the upper one has its edge insulated with a little scotch tape. The sighting window is also nice and large.

However it is more bulky than the small ADE sight. It sits up much higher and the tail end sticks back much further. I usually wear a baseball cap when I shoot and if I want to use the viewfinder, I have to tip it way back so that the brim doesn't hit the sight.

Here are the two sights superimposed so that you can see the difference in overall size and height.

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS200
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow