Yellowstone and the Tetons: an M4/3 Perspective

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tom K.
Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,694
Re: Yellowstone and the Tetons: an M4/3 Perspective

kaphinga wrote:

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Great set that really captures the region. Have not been there in many years and I suddenly want to go back. No fair!

Thanks so much. It was an amazing trip

You sure hit nice weather, and were pretty lucky with the critters, too.

We indeed were lucky with weather, critters, and geysers. Steamboat geyser, which has erupted fewer than 200 times since 1878 (that's not a typo), was a particular thrill.

The major critter list was: grizzly bear, wolf, coyote, pronghorn, bighorn, elk, moose, bison, deer, osprey, bald eagle. I got pictures of everything except the wolf, the coyote (I was on horseback with a very short lens) and the bald eagles. I wish I had stopped to photograph the bald eagles.) I have pictures of a bunch of little critters, too -- marmots, squirrels, and such.

As I was looking at your very nice gallery of posted pictures, my main thought was, "There isn't anything here that couldn't have been shot with an FZ1000, without all the hassle of toting several bodies and lenses." And the circumstance of having the wrong lens for a situation simply reinforces that to me.

To my mind, interchangeable lens cameras are specialized instruments, not general purpose. I have several m43 bodies and lenses but I rarely use them, and then typically for specific circumstances. I use an FZ1000 probably 99% of the time now.

About the only reason I would take an ILC to Yellowstone is to have an ultra-wide angle lens. And in fact the last time I visited Yellowstone I took an m43 body with a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye, to supplement the FZ200 I was using at the time.

Anyway, looks like you had a great trip! My capsule description of Yellowstone is, "It's some wild stuff."

p.s. The 300 is indeed a specialty tool and I primarily use mine paired with the 40-150 Pro on a second camera. That's a lot of gear to manage, but I eventually developed a system that works for me.

No doubt that the 300mm is a specialty tool, and it was a bit much to learn to manage during the rental period. I just didn't have the technique/experience to handle it properly. If I were a wildlife shooter, though, I would definitely buy one.

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS200
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow