A77ii-Best Max Zoom, Tamron 150-600mm?

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,617
A77ii-Best Max Zoom, Tamron 150-600mm?

Hi folks,

I'm a wildlife shooter, now in Idaho where I'm treated to the sight of 40-50 Elk each morning. I work on them with my G9 w/100-400mm (800mm equiv). I'm getting some good shots, but I'd sure like some more zoom.

I love my G9 w/100-400mm. I can carry it on wildlife walks easily. The combination weighs slightly more than 4# and I find that manageable for most of my long range shooting.

I also have a nice Sony a77ii, which gets almost no use. If I had it here, I could sure use the slightly better low light capability and the longer zoom available. I said the same thing to myself last year and resolved to get a longer lens. At the time, I had settled on the Tamron 150-600mm. I'd use it with the 1.4X option mainly, giving me a nice 1200mm image, still allowing crops if necessary.

I've been out of touch with the Sony crowd for awhile and wonder if things have changed. Is the Tamron 150-600mm still the lens of choice for long range shooting?

Thanks for your input. This time, I'm definitely a buyer,

Jack

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow