Focus Peaking and Hyperfocal-Distance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Gerry Pasternack Veteran Member • Posts: 3,942
Focus Peaking and Hyperfocal-Distance

The "focus peaking" feature of my FZ1000 is a good guide in identifying the exact point of my manual focus. I was thinking that this feature may have another use as well.

Folks who want the max range of focus – from infinity to a near point know to focus at the hyper-focal distance — if they can accurately determine where that is. Since the focus peaking tool shows all areas that are in focus (subject to a High/Low threshold setting) it can determine this distance.

With aperture and focal length fixed, manually focus on where you think the hyper-focal distance is (a good starting point is about 1/3 into the scene) and observe the extent of the peaking on the camera's display. Change the point of focus a bit and again observe the peaking for a greater or lesser area in focus. After a few tries you will have found the max range of focus (with infinity included) and hence you are now focused on the hyper-focal distance. This is the greatest range of focus possible - from 1/2 the hyper-focal distance out to infinity.

The hyperfocal distance is just a means to an end. Using the peaking function directly can help find the maximum range of focus.

Make sense?

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow