My initial number of stacked images for a 2" wide object is 21. Is that too many?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Offside Senior Member • Posts: 5,315
My initial number of stacked images for a 2" wide object is 21. Is that too many?

I'm new to focus stacking images.

Here's what I am testing. Correct me if my process if faulty.

Shooting with the FZ1000 in manual focus, f4 aperture. I want the aperture to be more open than closed.

In manual focus, and in macro mode, the little magnifying focus window opens and a focus bar is displayed. I'm rotating the lens enough to make the focus bar move visually about 1/8". It's not exact but I can estimate looking at the scale and feeling how far my wrist travels when rotating the lens to keep it fairly consistent.

With all that said, I used 21 images to get my 2" object in focus. My test object was a diagonally placed engineering ruler.

With my camera, and using f4, does 21 images seem about right for a 2" object or is that too many? I deleted every other image in my stack and still got a similar result so I probably could have limited the number of images to 11.

Any advantage in the real world to err on the side of caution and take more images than needed?

Thanks...Alan

Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow