Experience using optical wireless, especially CTRL+ with 3rd party speedlights?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,122
Experience using optical wireless, especially CTRL+ with 3rd party speedlights?

Hi,

I'm looking to pick up a couple of used flashes and I'd like to know if you have experience using optical wireless modes with third party speedlights.

Michael Hohner has a great compendium here: https://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashcomp_setups.php -- but it's just for Sony/Minolta genuine accessories.
There is another nice comparison here: https://sonyalpha.blog/2018/05/07/flashes-and-triggers-for-sony-e-mount/ but that one is rather limited with testing (mentions CTRL mode only, but then in specific tests it also mentions CTRL+ at least with one Godox), but on the other hand, both Godox and Nissin are more expensive than used HVL-F42AM which works in CTRL+ mode (albeit in RMT group only).

Promaster mentions a relatively new 170SL unit: https://www.blog.promaster.com/home/2018/6/25/press-release-promaster-unveils-170sl-speedlight-for-sony and that one appears to support CTRL+, but is not available in Europe (not to mention it's rather expensive).

Metz

I researched further and found that (some) Metz units support wireless flash. Upon further research, since Metz is so kind as to provide online manuals:

These work in CTRL and CTRL+ modes, always in "RMT" group and always in all four channels (will respond to masters using any channel):
44 AF-1 S digital and 44 AF-2 S digital

These two work like HVL-F42M. They allow both CTRL and CTRL+ modes, but the flash is always in "RMT" group:
50 AF-1 S digital : CTRL and CTRL+, always in RMT, no controller function
48 AF-1 S digital : CTRL and CTRL+, always in RMT, no controller function

These four work like F43AM, F43M, F58AM, F60AM and F60M, so provide full support for all modes, including acting as a controller:
52 AF-1 S digital : full support, including controller in CTRL+ and CTRL modes
58 AF-1 S digital : full support, including controller in CTRL+ and CTRL modes
58 AF-2 S digital : full support, including controller in CTRL+ and CTRL modes
64 AF-1 S digital : full support, including controller in CTRL+ and CTRL modes

Their latest flash also provides full support (as master and slave in RMT or RMT2), but only in CTRL+ mode and deprecates support for old CTRL mode:
M400 Sony : full support, but only for CTRL+ mode (though that still makes it the most compact, size- and weight-wise, controller for CTRL+ with ratio control)

Godox/Quadralite

Godox TT685S (and Quadralite Stroboss 60S and 60S evo) : provide support like Metz M400: only CTRL+, both as commander and slave.

Nissin

i40i60ADi700ADi866S : Can be used in CTRL and CTRL+ modes, only as remote. Can choose group RMT or RMT-2. Channel cannot be set, flash responds to signals from all four channels
Di622 Mark II : Operates on channel 1 only, only as group RMT, only as slave. There's no information whether it supports CTRL, CTRL+ or both.

I think that's it, but I would appreciate input on flashes from other manufacturers. If I find something new, I'll update the list.

Basically, I want to spend as little as possible while being able to use these flash units inside (I'm aware and I appreciate that they are very finicky in spacious surroundings and that they almost never work outside in the sun). Being able to use them with ratio control is a huge bonus if I want to have some units provide ambient light and others provide more direct spotlight.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow