P1000: Brand X Battery issue

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Birk Binnard
Birk Binnard Senior Member • Posts: 1,930
P1000: Brand X Battery issue

This may have been mentioned here before relative to some other camera, but here's the review I have posted on Amazon for these Brand X batteries I use in my P1000.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QSXIRFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- hide signature --

I bought these batteries for use in a Nikon P1000 camera. They power the camera fine but provide no feedback to the camera about how much power is remaining in the battery. This means that the camera simply shuts down with no warning when the battery is used up.

What is supposed to happen is the camera's battery indicator shows full, 3/4 full, half full, 1/4 full - just like a car's fuel gauge. These batteries do not support that function which makes them less than ideal for usage.

Edit #1: on the day following this review's publication I received a message from the seller saying this was the first time they'd heard of this problem. They said they would send me a new set of batteries and charger to test - at no cost. I should have these in a few days and will report results here.

Edit #2: I received 2 new batteries of the same type and they behave just like the first 2 - they show as 100% full all the time, until the camera shuts off with "Battery depleted". So if you use these batteries be sure to carry some fully charged spares with you.

-----

As I told the seller, I think this is the result of the Nikon batteries having some proprietary circuitry inside them that gives battery status feedback to the camera. There used to be a very similar problem with Brand X color laser printer toner cartridges, but that seems to be solved now (at least it is for my Dell printer.) Maybe camera batteries will be next. Or maybe I just picked the wrong Brand X supplier.

--
Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com

Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow