He's dead, Jim.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrHollywood
MrHollywood Senior Member • Posts: 2,274
He's dead, Jim.

Continuation of the previous thread...

So here's my timeline....for the death of the DSLR. I'm not guessing on this. While I may be off to varying degrees, this timeline comes from a good source.

2019 - Nikon announces pro-level mirrorless. It will essentially eclipse the D5 and D850 in a single stroke. It's ONLY weakness for some will be that they still prefer the form factor of a D5 one piece design over one that uses a separate grip.

2022 - Nikon will announce many more Z-lenses in Development (watch the patents roll!) and we'll see a marked slow-down in F mount glass development. The amount and frequency of these announcements will be startling. 3rd party Z mount glass will start coming on strong.

2023 - Nikon will not update whatever pro-level DSLRs are in production. Nikon will maintain F mount production of lenses.

2024 - Z mount glass now outperforms and covers most needs vs. F. Little to no F-Glass development at this point.

2026 - Nikon no longer has ANY type of new DSLR on the market. They are 100% mirrorless with entry level DX also replaced. The only exception may be a retro Df style DSLR for mid market.

You can blame the Klingons, but....

Rob

-- hide signature --

"We need a bigger boat."

MrHollywood's gear list:MrHollywood's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Nikon D850 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +14 more
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD TOF guy
MOD JimKasson
NCB
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow