Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions thread
Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: Europe Trip Photographs - Sony A7R III with 28mm F2

Nice images, and great to hear this single lens setup worked so well for you. I'm sure there were plenty of situations where you would have liked a more portrait FL, so I don't need to ask about that. Instead, I'd be curious to know if/when you wanted a wider FL. How wide would have been wide enough? My widest FL now is 28, and I'm trying to decide between a 21 (Loxia (a bit more than I want to spend) or, if it doesn't have the QC issues of the 15, the soon-to-be-released Voigtlander 21) and 15mm (the Laowa/2 or maybe Voigtlander 15 if I can find a good copy). I do mostly street shooting, but would like to dabble more in landscape. 15 and 21 are obviously really different, and 21 is probably the safer (next step) for me, but 15 is such a unique look that I think it would force me to be far more creative in my composition.

Anyway, the idea would be a light travel kit (where camera gear has to fit in with family gear) consisting of a 15 or 21, 35, and 55. All the lens changing would be a pain, so Tam 28-75 might cover most of the bases; that's why I'm curious to know your experience with 28.

I have the Samyang 35/2.8 which is so light you might as well keep it in your bag if you're using primes. I love the 55/1.8 for its light weight and portraits. 55 is not very long, but you got by with 28, so I think for city-based trips, it should be good enough. If I can find a good copy of the CV15 or CV21, that plus the Samyang and Sony 55 would add up to ~650g, so less than the GM zooms and just 100g more than my Tamron 28-75. Thanks.

Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow