G3X low light sample pictures

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fred_Last Forum Member • Posts: 86
G3X low light sample pictures

I tried the G3X inside the zoo pavillions which are very dimly lit.

I limit ISO to 1600 for still animals (eg. slimy critters inside viewing cases). I can go as low as 1/6 seconds taking hand-held pictures, without using tripod or other forms of support. I flip the camera screen out and hold the camera against my body, looking down onto the screen like using a vintage viewfinder camera.

It is very difficult to get good pictures of larger animals because of a combination of chasing them, slow autofocussing, inaccurate autofocussing in dim light, shooting through wire fence / dirty plexiglass, and mushy high ISO images in low light situations. Still, these images are perfectly good for web publishing. The G3X often cannot autofocus in very dim light above the 135 mm mark on the zoom lens.

Getting a good picture is hit or miss, either due to motion blur or inaccurate autofocussing / camera focussing onto wrong area. I am surprised how good the color rendition is in these difficult lighting conditions!

(These are all handheld pictures, no tripod or other forms of support used)

(..... and yes, many primates look sad!)

Canon G3 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow