Nikon 300mm f2.8 VRII or 300mm F4 PF? Help needed!

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
mpe Regular Member • Posts: 484
Re: Nikon 300mm f2.8 VRII or 300mm F4 PF? Help needed!

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

sts2 wrote:

What makes it "overdue" to go FL?

The 400, 500, 600, 800 and 180-400 are already FL.

Many Nikon users expect the 300 f2.8 and 200 f2 to be upgraded to FL fairly soon, and "current generation" VR.

Most likely the FL update will give us:

* sharper and higher contrast due to new coatings

* weight reduction

* updated VR

* E aperture control

* much higher price tag

If they released 300mm 2.8 FL and they say it is a lot sharper I would not upgrade. Even if they keep the cost (they certainly won't). I don't need or even want the 300mm 2.8 to be any sharper

As for weight reduction, this is always welcome. However, I think the handling aspect of the existing 300mm 2.8 is very good. I love handholding it. I am thinking how much weight they could actually shave by using FL element. My bet is 2.9kg -> 2.5kg. Which will not change much. This was much more important for bigger lenses (or even the 200mm f2 which doesn't handle nearly as well as the 300mm 2.8).

As for VR, based on lenses I tried I actually prefer the second version of VR. The one with Nomal/Active switch (and with tripod detection). As opposed to the one with Normal/Sports switch. I couldn't care less about this though.

The E aperture control is a matter future proofing, but at this point I don't think there are any actual benefits.

The price hike. 300mm 2.8G VRII was released in 2009 at $5899. I think it is not way off to expect a price tag around $8500+

So yes.The FL update is probably coming, but I don't care that much.

mpe's gear list:mpe's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mpe
mpe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow