X-T3 Face Recognition doesn't seem 'all that' to me at all

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
owenb Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
X-T3 Face Recognition doesn't seem 'all that' to me at all

Got my X-T3s on Thursday. I'm an event and wedding photographer and have used them on two jobs already, processing the JPGs because no raw support yet, and really happy with the performance so far, especially autofocus and battery. Turned that touchscreen off almost immediately though, does nothing for me.

Anyway, I've never got the benefit of face recognition in my line of work. My frame usually features many faces and I do not want the camera guessing which one I'm trying to focus on. Also, it blows my mind that when it detects multiple faces there's absolutely no way to switch between the ones it focusses on. What's the point of it showing me, say, three green boxes around faces and picking one to light up yellow, and not giving me any way to say 'Nope, I want *that* one instead please'? Have I missed a feature here?

/hasn't read the manual...

Anyway, first thing I did was stand in front of a mirror, hold it at chest height, and frame up on the LCD with face recognition on.

Nothing.

Checked i had the setting on, still nothing.

Problem seemed to be the light on my face. I was standing next to a frosted window on my right hand side, so lots of soft light pouring in, lighting my right side of face well and leaving the left not in soft-ish but fairly deep shadow. All the same, on the screen I could clearly see my other eye on the shaded side of my face.

The only way it would recognise my face is when I turned into the light, offering it a 45 degree profile in the frame (right eye hidden at this point, left eye in the light).

It sees me, locks, I turn back to face the camera, loses me again.

I know I gave it tricky conditions, but I'm not convinced it's that amazing. Tried it a couple of times on jobs this week and it either did nothing at all despite a face filling a quarter of the frame, or did the usual thing of spotting several faces and picking the wrong one with no obvious way to select one of the others.

I guess this is best used in brightly lit conditions with only one or two faces, ideally on exactly the same plane?

owenb's gear list:owenb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KFo
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow