Ultra flat and lifeless Sony RAWs

Started 3 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gavin_brown New Member • Posts: 10
Ultra flat and lifeless Sony RAWs

Hi, I recently purchased a Sony A7iii and while I’m generally happy with the camera, I’m getting a tad frustrated with how ultra flat and lifeless the RAW files are eg: super flat tone, lack of depth in images and overall flat dull colours.

I would go as far as to say they are potentially the poorest RAWs I have ever worked with in this aspect, out of any camera system I have used (I have owned Nikon and Fuji and worked with pro-grade Canon and Nikon cameras too in term of RAWs and retouching images).

On camera my shots look pretty good (for what you’d expect from an in camera preview) but as soon as I open the RAW files it’s a completely different story - and a very long process of post production by essentially trying to pull out all of the detail of the shot in terms of shadows, highlights, and colours etc - in other words trying to save the shot rather than enhance it.

I am a Lightroom user (with most up to date software) and can eventually pull the shot together but I’ve never had to do so much work in post to do so!

Has anyone else had similar issues or frustrations with Sony RAWs?

And is there a solution or work around for this? Or am I stuck with ultra flat and lifeless RAWs and hours of retouching if I continue with Sony?

Cheers.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow