Very basic question about P1000

Started Sep 24, 2018 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725
Very basic question about P1000

Almost everyone who supports the P1000 agrees that it is a wildlife camera and probably not for general photography. I am not saying that it's doesn't do, nor that people won't use it while they have the camera in their hand. All I am saying is that we're not buying it for general photography.

From what I have seen so far, the images are good to very good (or even excellent) depending on the focal length and as long as the subject is not very far.

When the subject is far, there are both lens issues as well as atmospheric factors to fight against.

With that in mind, if we have to get within a reasonable distance from the subject anyway, do you still see the need/benefit of P1000? In other words, couldn't a P900 or a B700 do the same? Put it differently, will a vast majority buying the camera not use over 1600 or 2000mm most of the time?

This is just a question about the subject distance and focal length. I agree that the P1000 has some other improvements over the P900 like the EVF, MF ring NRW capture, and so on. Those make it a better camera overall.

If a B700 came about with all the improvements seen in the P1000, except for the 3000mm zoom, would that have more takers?

Just a hypothetical use case. I am not out to offend anyone who has decided to buy, or already bought, a P1000. These questions came to mind as I am exploring to get one myself.

Thanks.

Satyaa's gear list:Satyaa's gear list
Panasonic FZ2500 Canon EOS 400D Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +10 more
Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow