Thinking about buying Godox? Buy the Adorama Flashpoint version instead of from an Amazon seller

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Veteran Member • Posts: 8,926
Thinking about buying Godox? Buy the Adorama Flashpoint version instead of from an Amazon seller

During a shoot this afternoon the Godox EC200 head extension for the Godox AD200 / Adorama Flashpoint eVOLV 200 failed. The EC200 , purchased from a seller on Amazon, had been in sporadic use for about six weeks.

The nature of the failure being that when I triggered the flash there was a weak pulse from the LED modeling light, but the flashtube clearly was not firing. When turned on the LED modeling worked fine. At first, I had thought it was the new round head, the Adorama Flashpoint branded version https://www.adorama.com/fplfevrh.html , which arrived this past Thursday, but after trying that head on the body of my Flashpoint eVOLV 200 but as that combination works fine, this point ted to the product sold as a "Godox EC200" being the culprit. I used quotation marks in that previous sentence checked my Amazon order and the seller was not a name I recognized (I had thought Amazon was the seller: more fool me) I am left wondering if it is a genuine Godox product or a shoddy fake.

This points to a problem either with the flashtube, the connection of the head to the EC200, or wiring inside the EC 200 ends or the cable. As the end of the return window was nine days ago (09/14) I appear to be out of luck on that front.
When I first assumed the new head at fault I immediately contacted Adorama but I assumed I would not hear from them until October 3 when Sukkot ( a Jewish holiday) ends. I was wrong. I got an immediate two-part reply from an Adorama representative asking me to return the head and stating that when the head was received I'd have the choice of a full refund or a replacement. The second part of the reply was a UPS label.
That kind of prompt service is worth gold.

As a working pro I always have either a spare kit, but because this afternoon was simply me shooting my kid's water polo match so the only spare I brought was an extra camera battery.

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon D850 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow