'Character' in a lens...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,778
'Character' in a lens...

I know many people will roll their eyes, thinking that any claim that a lens may be worth using because of its 'character' is just a way of making excuses for its poor technical performance.

And sure enough, by some technical standards, such lenses are often inferior to other well-regarded (and often more modern) alternatives.

And yet... to me some lenses do have something that make them a bit 'romantic', and capable of adding that little bit of extra 'magic' or visual interest in otherwise very mundane frames.

The example below is most certainly not a great photograph, but it serves its purpose as a case in point for what I mean with my ramblings above.

X-Pro2 + Voightlander Nokton 50/1.1, Acros G

Two lenses that I have used and which definitely fall into such 'characterful' camp are the Voightlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 and the Zeiss ZF 85mm f/1.4.

Both are a bit 'dreamy', and with somewhat 'busy' and not buttery smooth background bokeh when shot wide open (though they both quickly pick up contrast and 'bite' when stopped down). From a technical perspective, both lenses are easily bested by a number of more modern equivalents.

And yet...

Thoughts?

Marco

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow