Milky Way - finally some decent shots

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,243
Milky Way - finally some decent shots

I was finally able to take some decent shots of the Milky Way. Not that I haven't tried before, but I was never really under a sky dark enough to get it right. But recently I was in Norway hunting for Northern Lights, and during one of calmer nights I had a chance to get some Milky Way astroscapes.

Those are all single exposures. In retrospect, I should have made a second, longer exposure to get a nice foreground. Oh well... maybe next time.

The nasty blue fringing is a hallmark of Darktable. It's a fatal weakness of this otherwise excellent piece of software.

This is kinda "defished" using cylindrical projection of lens correction module. It's not a proper defishing, but in some cases produces great results. This is such a case.

This is not defished at all. It's a coincidence that the slopes of this rocky hill got straightened out by fish-eye distortion

Aurora and Milky Way in one shot, what more could I want?

Also, a note on defishing. Olympus does a really good job with it. Darktable also provides this capability in its lens correction module, but somehow Olympus makes it so that there is less softness toward the edges and corners.

Anyway, the trip was a big success, I got to see plenty of Northern Lights, despite the weather being mostly capricious during the day. I have thoroughly tested weather sealing on my E-M1 II and 12-100 during that trip

-- hide signature --
 Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow