XQD Cards and the Format Type in the D850

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nuke12
nuke12 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,386
XQD Cards and the Format Type in the D850

I have a 64 GB XQD card. I was reading a thread in this forum awhile back and some poster said that the camera would use a card formatted as exFAT. The advantage being that videos wouldn't be broken into as many pieces.

I decided to try it and I formatted the card in my computer as exFAT and installed it back in the camera. The camera seems to have no problem using the card that way. Reads and writes are the same as normal.

So I wondered if the camera would leave it as exFAT if I formatted in the camera. Not the case, it changes it back to FAT 32.

So is there any information from Nikon on the type of format to be used? Does it change, if using a larger then 64 GB card? I was quite surprised that it would even work with exFAT.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +28 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow