Bad polarizers: I have seen the light

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bluevellet Senior Member • Posts: 2,764
Bad polarizers: I have seen the light

I've often used polarizers, of different sizes for different lenses. It was always worth it on bright sunny days. Never cared about the more expensive kind: it seemed like marketing nonsense. How hard can it be to design a single piece of glass/plastic with some coating on it? No way am I paying extra or am I carefully shopping for such an item.

That is until today. I have what was an unused Jessops 62mm polarizer for my 12-40. This is the same polarizer I was kicking myself for not bringing on a trip to southern Europe last month. Today, I made myself a promise to bring it on some early morning outing.

Right off the bat, I could see something was wrong when trying to take photos. Flare everywhere, even with the sun on my back. Could it have been because I had not taken the lens hood along for the trip? I used my hand to cover the top of the lens, it helped a bit but it is only when I got home that I saw all my photos were bad. Fuzzy, non-saturated, blue-ish, like a cheap smartphone camera. I can't even fix it in RAW. Photos ruined.

I investigated things further at home. Could it be the lens... somehow? No, holding a big 72mm polarizer, a polarizer I have used for years, in front of the lens and the photos come out fine. Testing the defective 62mm filter on smaller lenses like the 14-150mm show the polarizer is the problem.

Lesson learned, folks, I guess I was just lucky with all the other polarizers I had used before today.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow