Resurrecting My Photography--Lenses and Software Advice

Started Sep 10, 2018 | Discussions thread
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,580
Re: Resurrecting My Photography--Lenses and Software Advice

skylon wrote:

I've been out of the loop for ~3 years and finally want to get back into shooting semi-professionally. The last go-round I was shooting with a Nikon D700 FX and a D7100 DX. I was editing with Capture NX, which I loved.

Currently, I have the D750 FX alone, and have never upgraded to software that supports it's RAW files. I am getting a D500 DX later this week, and I am looking for software that does all or most of what Capture NX was capable of (I had NX-D briefly, but never got the hang of it.) I am working on a Windows PC. I don't want to use any app that is cloud-based or pay-per-month. Is Photoscape X a good option? Raw Therapee?

As for lenses for the D500. Right now I have the Nikon 16-35mm f4 FX, and the 24-120 f4 FX. I plan on adding the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 (I had an older version of it when I had the D200/D300, and I loved it) for the very wide end. What would be a good option for the longer end up to 200mm (300mm on DX)? The Nikon 2.8 lenses are out of my price range, what are the better not-too-expensive options from Sigma/Tamron? One lens I am looking at is a used Nikon 70-200mm f4 VR. Thoughts?

I shoot as a generalist...I've done a few weddings (hated it), a lot of events/parties, some portrait/fashion work, and a lot of road races/track & field, and some work for online newspapers. So, a mishmash.

If anyone can give me some feedback on a good lens setup and a good photo editing program I'd appreciate it....thanks.

I've been using Capture One for years and I'm not looking back.

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +27 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow