Sony Alpha 100 vs Panasonic GX7 upgrade

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BruceHugo New Member • Posts: 1
Sony Alpha 100 vs Panasonic GX7 upgrade

My mother has been letting me use her old Sony A100 camera, and I'm enthused, to say the least. The only lens I have access to right now is the attached Tamron 18-200mm. As a fulltime student I'm at home, on campus (bag space limitations), or walking my dog (border collie, long walks, quick pace, few breaks), with rare exception. Shooting around the house has its appeal, though I might be happier using a macro lens. Otherwise, I find it hard to justify the heft of the setup over the less enjoyable experience of the capable camera in my Galaxy S8 smartphone.

I have options then, stay within the limits of my domicile, learn to man up and transport a brick of kit, maybe buy a lens under three inches to aid in this. or upgrade the body.

I've found the MFT lens system appeals to me on paper, small, good at macro, used by two brands, less prone to overheating with video.  This led me to the GX7, the cheapest rangefinder style, viewfinder equipped, built-in flash, MFT body I could find.  I thought from here I can start, and upgrade later if I feel it's needed.  It seemed a solid plan until I noticed that dxomark.com gives the a100 an overall score of 61, and gives the GX7 a 70.

So, my question becomes, is nine points and 2.5cm off every dimension, worth the $600 for a new system?  Should I upgrade to the GX7?  Am I not thinking something through properly?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

Nikon Coolpix A100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow