Could Panasonic 35mm FF be a positive for m43?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iano Senior Member • Posts: 1,627
Could Panasonic 35mm FF be a positive for m43?

There seems to be a strong thought that Panasonic entering 35mm ff means abandoning, or largely abandoning m43.

But perhaps it may be worth considering that Panasonic entering the 35mm FF world could actually result in an increase of new tech and perhaps even a step up in Panasonic efforts in m43?

As rumours have leaked, I originally felt it could be Panasonic is going into FF seriously, or it could also be just one camera for an existing mount, which is something they have done before with video cameras. Now it seems clear this not just one camera, but a serious play at an even higher level of camera, and entering a professional market directly against very established competitors.

But is this seriously a negative for m43, or are fears more a reaction of some m43 users feel betrayed by Panasonic ‘going over to the enemy’? Why the "stay the course with Olympus" unless Panasonic is winding down m43. It could be that there is a reason this move will lead to Panasonic abandoning of part withdrawing from m43, but is the any obvious reason why this would be the case?

Possibilities reasons for Panasonic now neglecting m43:

• Panasonic resources will now be too busy with FF to release new m43 products
  • Panasonic was looking to get out of m43 and this is there strategy
  • Panasonic moving to FF will make m43 fail even if it was going well before
  • m43 products would compete with FF cannibalising sales
  • Panasonic FF will steal m43 sales, there is no point offering competing products
  • The is more profit in FF so why bother with two systems?
  • Abandoning m43 will boost sales of FF

Any others?

Ok dealing with these one at a time:

Panasonic resources will now be too busy with FF to release new m43 products

I not only have Panasonic Camera gear, I also have a Panasonic Microwave. Both products seem quite satisfactory. This demonstrates Panasonic is capable of producing multiple products, and even when there is little synergy between products, which is when this requires the most resources. Just as Panasonic has produced superzooms and m43 simultaneously in the past, the company should be capable of multiple products in the future if they desire to produce both.

Panasonic was looking to get out of m43 and this is their strategy

The only reason Panasonic would be looking to get out of m43, is that it is not doing well and making losses. But can you imagine the presentation if this was the case: “Yes, we are taking a bath right now and not doing well, but that is the reason to invest more in an even more competitive space, just as other players are entering the space”. I do not think so, and I do think they are spurred on by success, not failure.

Panasonic moving to FF will make m43 fail even if it was going well before

So m43 could hold its own against all other competitors, but will be wiped out by the Panasonic FF cameras? Seriously?

m43 products would compete with FF cannibalising sales

If m43 as a competitor would threaten and the Panasonic FF, yet Canon, Nikon and Sony are no problem as competition, something is wrong.

Panasonic FF will steal all m43 sales, there is no point offering competing products

Panasonic have offered m43 and compact cameras for years, and these are competing products. In fact, the greatest competitor for an m43 Camera is another m43 camera, and that never stopped them having multiple cameras

There is more profit in FF, so why bother with two systems?

I go back to Microwaves and Cameras products lines. Clearly one product line is more profitable than the other, yet they persist in both. Given the synergies between m43 and FF camera and lens products, there is more profit being in two systems than in just one of the two, and that is what matters.

Abandoning m43 will boost sales of FF

Perhaps there is some logic of how abandoning you previous customer base will help win the trust of a new customer base and that you are a company committed to your products, but if so I have missed it.

Summary:

In reality, I think this move will give Panasonic more tech that will lead to even more advances in m43. Being in both will lead to economies of scale, and this entry into a new market requires commitment of resources that the company must have secured. Rather than resulting m43 being Olympus only, Panasonic will be stronger in m43, and more focused on digital photography than ever before.

Of course, I could be wrong.  I though I was wrong once before but that turned out to be a mistake.  Perhaps Panasonic will for some reason I have missed be less present in m43, but do not think we should assume that outcome.

Lets wish them well in their new market, and keep going with whichever product range we prefer.

iano's gear list:iano's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow