500 PF initial thoughts and a sample

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mbike999
mbike999 Regular Member • Posts: 224
500 PF initial thoughts and a sample

Good morning (or evening wherever you are) DP people. I've been testing out the 500PF. Having only had it in my hands for a day, I would like to provide some very preliminary impressions and a sample shot. I have provided my thoughts and disclaimers below.

• I have had the lens way short of a time to provide any solid conclusions
  • It has Nikon pro-level lens DNA and feels super well made
  • I feel like it will probably take me at least a month to learn how to get the most out of it
  • The lens will be totally fine to hand hold all day
  • 750MM equivalent compared to 450 (using 300 PF on a D500) is not forgiving! Not surprisingly you have to work for it more than the 300. DOF is super shallow at close range.
  • AF is very fast, I have no issues with AF speed
  • This seems like it will be a formidable birding lens, and there's really nothing like it

I shot some pictures of this Anna's in my backyard in terrible light. Although the light sucks I figured it would be a good opportunity to push it to the limits and see what the OIS could do. I shot the first in a burst at 1/200th of a second, and then shot a more respectable 1/640, which consequently required increased ISO (and noise). Note, mild edits and crop in LR

I'm considering writing a comprehensive review but only after I have given it a fair shake.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow