M cameras and prime lenses...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jadphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 813
M cameras and prime lenses...

OK, I got great answers/opinions on my 100 f/2.8L macro query, so I'll try to tax your brains again.  Basically, I'm not thrilled with the kit lenses on the M system so...

Are any of you using your M cameras with mostly prime lenses?

My EF-M 22mm is incredibly sharp, 15-45mm and 18-55mm are so-so, same with the EF-M 55-200 but the EF-M 11-22mm is pretty darn good.  In fact, if the other zooms were up to the EF-M 11-22mm I'd be a happy camper.  But they're not so I'm thinking of going all , or mostly, primes with the possible exception of the EF-M 11-22.

My current thinking is Rokinon/Samyang 12mm, EF-M 22mm, EF 40mm (or EF 28mm f/2.8 IS), EF 100mm f/2.8L.  Reasonably small and lightweight kit with lenses I know are sharp.

I would consider manual focusing lenses but prefer AF and IS if possible.

Won't know until later today when the 100 macro arrives if I can use a 2x extender on it or not but would like to have something in the 200-300 range available.  I've had good results with a Kenko 1.4 extender, and no issues with rear elements getting in the way but don't have any experience with their 2x extender.  Although others I've tried generally sucked.

Thanks in advance...

JD

jadphoto's gear list:jadphoto's gear list
Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow