Optical Limitations of m43rds mount vs Z/R/EF mount

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwaysLearning4 Regular Member • Posts: 125
Optical Limitations of m43rds mount vs Z/R/EF mount

Hey guys.

I know there are a forum load of threads about "the fate of m43rds" but this isn't one of them despite mentioning FF. I

Nikon and Canon made a big deal how their new mounts removes many of the optical limitations they used to contend with and therefore new lenses can be faster and sharper. Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals tested some m43rds lenses a while back and made a comment something along the lines of "the m43rds mount give some interesting optical advantages and I wanted to see whether Panny/Oly took advantage of that or got lazy".

Edit: actual quote "Making lenses for a smaller imaging circle has some distinct theoretical advantages. Whether the lensmakers use those advantages for good and make better lenses, or for evil to cut corners and raise profit margins, well, that interests me quite a bit." https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/03/finally-some-more-m43-mtf-testing-are-the-40s-fabulous/

Not sure if that's the same as what I said.

Canon launched a 28-70 f/2 R, and Nikon has the 58mm 0.95 they're showing off. Olympus has older f/2 zoom lenses and the 12-100mm f/4 is probably the best megazoom I've ever heard of. New 1.2 Pro glass ain't bad either. Does this have to do mounts?

Does anyone know what the optical limitations of m43rds mount are when compared to NIkon/Canon DSLR and Z/R mounts? I assume it has to do with how much clearance around the sensor the mount gives for larger elements but those are just assumptions and I know nothing of optics. Anyone on the forum well versed in this area?

AlwaysLearning4's gear list:AlwaysLearning4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
XRF
XRF
XRF
XRF
XRF
XRF
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow