Any advice for taking an Epson 3880 out of mothballs?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VeryVeritas New Member • Posts: 2
Any advice for taking an Epson 3880 out of mothballs?

I am in a bit of a time crunch and am hoping for some quick feedback. I have hacked away at art prints since 2012 with an Epson 3880. I use it to create fine art prints for a family member. These are graphite, charcoal or scratch art (grayscale/B&W) drawings for the most part with color oil pastels from time to time. We scan on a large flatbed scanner (also Epson).  I have a dedicated desktop still running Windows 7 pro and even XP in a sandbox scenario for certain, older marketing materials and printing. I have taken exceptional care of my printer and it has never let me down.

However two things have transpired that make me think about upgrading.  My artist in residence, aka the kid, has just completed a Masters program and now that school is not a time suck, is getting serious traction on creating art and selling art prints, which means my job will increase exponentially and be more time sensitive. So that's the good news.

The bad news is that I had to box and move my office last winter and it is only now that I am getting everything unpacked and set up. I am a nervous wreck over the printer--it has not been used in all that time. I did everything I could to protect it and I always wrap them in bubble wrap and other packing insulation if they are left for any period of time to try and ward off an ink clog. (I wish there was some way to purge nozzles prior to storage but I didn't think about that at the time, never dreaming it would be so long before I got set up again.)

My carts were getting low (not below 15%) and so I just ordered a new set. I am really not a candidate for refills... But I am wondering if there are some steps I might take short of just firing her up to ready my printer for service again? Perhaps do a Windex soak of the head? A purge? Install the new carts right away (not sure why that would make a difference, tho, since I don't think the ink would evaporate from the existing carts if the seal is good)?

I looked at the potential replacements for the printer should it simply bite the dust plus I am thinking about buying a back up if the AIR (artist in residence) decides to continue on this path versus working in industry. I don't know if what I looked at is a one for one upgrade, but I have a chance to buy another 3880 for half the price that was never used from a local shop. I realize that might best be covered in a separate thread, but as long as inks are going to be made for the 3880 and I have the set up, maybe another is a good idea? or not...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow