It's a small lens question 18/2, 27/2.8, 35/1.4 :-)

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
atoniolin
atoniolin Regular Member • Posts: 304
It's a small lens question 18/2, 27/2.8, 35/1.4 :-)

Over the last few weeks some members have helped me choose a portrait lens, and I ended up with the 90. Super happy with the decision! But secretly still saving for the 35/1.4 and 56/1.2 as they are truly different lenses for different usages. Now, I'm also looking for a tiny lens to accompany the X-H1. I will acknowledge here that X-H1 is a big X-series camera, but I love IBIS so this is what I have to deal with.

I mainly shoot with the 16-55 (and now combined with the 90/2) and photograph street events and document my travels with my family and daily life. I do this as a hobby and while taking crazy bokeh portraits shots with the XF 90mm F2 is a great joy, I'd also like a small cute lens on days that I want to pack light or snap photos as a secondary objective and instead enjoy the action. So I'm thinking of getting a light, small, versatile lens and I've narrowed it down to the XF 18mm F2 R or XF 27mm F2.8.

I have tested both hands on and I am aware of the noisy AF motors and that the lens extends a bit when acquiring focus. I am also aware that the IQ on both lenses aren't excellent on par with the XF 16mm or XF 90mm for example. Between them, the differences are main difference between them are:

XF 18/2: 1 stop brighter, has aperture ring, closer up, I have an offer for $250 used right now, has nice square hood.

XF 27/2.8: much thinner profile (23mm vs 34mm on XF 18), lighter. Case in point, the grip on the X-H1 is about 25mm, which means the 27mm will not make the camera thicker than it is.

XF 35/1.4: Longer term purchase for more serious use. Love the F1.4 rendering and package dimensions for a F1.4 lens. Love the classic look it gives, but lens is physically longer at 50mm (compared to the 18/2 or 27/2.8 or 23/2).

Currently, the 23/2 is currently my 'small setup'. Optically, I love the results, but I still wish it was smaller and didn't jut out so much from my X-H1. This is something only the 18mm or 27mm can do.. or manual focus lenses.

So the question is Should I just work with the 23/2 or get a used 18/2 or 27/2.8 or 35/1.4?

P.S. I'm a bokeh monster lover and a pixel peeper, but I care about the centres more than the corners.

-- hide signature --

FUJI!
Hey, I actually take photos too!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139094988@N07/
Est Dec 2017.

atoniolin's gear list:atoniolin's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow