Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro Contemporary - Should I keep it?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tsinvest Senior Member • Posts: 1,090
Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro Contemporary - Should I keep it?

In order to get a Nikon 18-140mm lens that I wanted I had to buy the Sigma 17-70mm as part of the package. The price was very good and it allows me to sell the Sigma if I decide not to keep it. Both lenses are literally like new. Nevertheless I just received the lenses today and played around a little with both on my D7500. The Nikon 18-140mm is really nice - I got it to use in place of my 1st generation 18-200mm VR. It appears to be quite a bit sharper which is what I was interested in.

Now, I am not quite sure if I should keep the 17-70 Sigma or not. I am trying to feel out where it would fit in my lens collection and just what situations I would use it for. Out of the test shots I took the Nikon 18-140mm did as well or slightly better than the Sigma. I did get one super clear handheld portrait with the Sigma however most shots were just okay. It is not a true Macro lens but a macro shot that I did take came out pretty good. Any thoughts from anyone who owns this lens on it strengths and weaknesses as well as what situations it would be handy to use for.

Appreciate any and all input - Thanks

-- hide signature --

hide signature --

My best, Tom

tsinvest's gear list:tsinvest's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D80 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +10 more
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow