D7200 with grip is hard to hold?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sammy Yousef
Sammy Yousef Veteran Member • Posts: 4,655
D7200 with grip is hard to hold?

I recently was able to purchase a 3rd party (Hahnel) D7200 grip for AUD30 (roughly USD20) to have a play with. It arrived in the mail this morning and I only had time for a quick play.

The added weight was no surprise. I was quite prepared for that. What did surprise me is that I found it awkward to hold for long periods in horizontal orientation. It seems my natural hold on the camera with no grip attached rests the weight of the camera on my curled pinky finger. With the grip attached, I am unable to get under the weight I have to grip the camera much more tightly which leads to quick fatigue. There are a couple of medical issues at play here that weaken my grip slightly but I have little to no trouble shooting literally all day at an airshow without the grip attached - my record number of shots in a day is 11,000. I literally mean all day. (Please save the criticism on "spray and pray". My keeper rate is high and that's not the topic of this post.). I'm pretty sure that even without those medical issues I'd be having trouble.

The other issues I have with the vertical/portrait orientation had to do with getting use to the position of the viewfinder and buttons, and trying to keep my left hand out of the way of the flash popup button. I assume that would just be something I would get use to over time. So not such a big deal. The one I'm worried about is having to grip the damn thing so tightly.

Is the grip just not for me, or am I doing something wrong. Anyone use a grip and got suggestions on what I might do? It's a pity. I really like being able to change battery without having to pull the main battery from the camera.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow