Firmware update for EF-M 32mm f/1.4 lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 5,657
Firmware update for EF-M 32mm f/1.4 lens?

Does anyone think we'll need a Firmware update - since the new EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens won't be in the existing camera's database for lens correction?
The basic early opinions from people who have claimed to have shot with this lens have been positive.  They said it was sharp and I saw no obvious corner vignetting (so far) in the samples posted.  Those were not meant to have been edited.  But as an f/1.4 lens, I would expect to see some falloff in the corners (like most bright lenses tend to demonstrate).  My guess is that the M-series cameras will potentially need an update to accommodate the new lens... unless Canon saw fit to include it in advance in some way.  Anyone had a chance to check yet (since at least one member says he has picked his lens up already)?
When previous lenses were released, occasional Firmware updates have surfaced.  I seem to remember one was needed for the 11-22mm lens.  I'm wondering if we'll see one (or need one) with the new lens.  I've used about 4 different "fast" lenses on my EOS M cameras ranging from f/1.2 to f/1.4 and f/2... and they all appeared to be recognized by the camera when connected.  And they all tended to offer an amount of light falloff in the corners - though somewhat subtle.  The in-camera lens correction resolved this most of the time with JPEGS.   The option of enabling peripheral correction with newer M-camera may simply be a generic one where the cameras can now recognize whether or not the lens requires adjustment without the need for Firmware updates for specific lenses.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow