FZ2000 memory card testing experience

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 15,231
FZ2000 memory card testing experience

I already had a Lexar 64GB UHS-I x663 speed card that I used with the FZ330 and have been using it with the FZ2000, surprisingly it is spec'd for UHS-I only, not UHS-II.

I was after another card for my G80 and ordered a 32GB Lexar UHS-II x1000.  The card arrived and I thought I'd try it in the FZ2000 and compare its speed with the 64GB UHS-I. Potentially the 32GB will act as a reserve card for both the FZ and G80.  I was then going to try both in the G80.

Hmmm, first thing I notice is that the 32GB card has only one row of contacts on the back. UHS-II cards have 2 rows and use them both to achieve the much higher transfer rates. So, the card was going back but, anyway, I still compared it with 64GB card.

Set camera to manual everything, with a shutter speed of circa 1/100th and medium speed FPS that maintains the LCD /EVF display. On best jpeg the 64GB card just kept going, the remaining shots buffer stayed at 80 and when I let go of the shutter button there was no delay on the buffer. I'd actually taken 120 shots before I stopped. I then tried best jpeg + RAW, the buffer count started at 30 and soon began to drop.  I took my finger off as it reached zero.  The buffer took 30 seconds to clear and I'd actually taken 33 shots. So, very happy with that card, it's all I need for the FZ2K.

Using the 32GB card, on jpeg, the buffer started to drop, slowly, after, maybe, 30 shots and I could probably have achieved 120 shots before the buffer became full. The buffer did take a while to clear.  Shooting jpeg+RAW,  the buffer soon dropped rapidly, so I simply stopped testing at that stage.

No idea what the 32GB card actually was, suspect not even UHS-I never mind UHS-II.

Fortunately, although from another retailer, the card was warehoused and shipped by Amazon.  The Returns Process (I'm a Prime member) is quick, instant return label and the card is already in the post.

I'm not sure but suspect that a sub-64GB card with a UHS-II interface might be impossible.  Lesson learned.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +2 more
Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow